3M™ Perfect-It™ Gelcoat Heavy Cutting Compound restores the lustrous beauty of boats by eliminating oxidation, scratches, scuff marks and other surface blemishes from gelcoat. Our fastest-cutting product for gelcoat, this compound removes P600 and finer scratches and leaves a high gloss finish ideal for cutting polish and wax.
The first step of a truly professional gelcoat finish, our 3M™ Perfect?It™ Gelcoat Heavy Cutting Compound is our fastest-cutting compound for heavily-oxidized gelcoat surfaces. Its premium chemical and mineral formula quickly removes heavy oxidation, weathering, dulling, chalking and scratches P600 or finer. This formula leaves a high gloss finish – on many surfaces, a polishing step is not necessary before waxing. The compound also has a long wet time, allowing you to compound longer before you need new material. You use less product even in warmer climates, yet it handles well and does not clog on the buffing pad. From buffing professionals to vehicle owners, the 3M™ Perfect?It™ Gelcoat Finishing products works great on boats, caravans and industrial gelcoat surfaces – new and used alike. These products include a step-by-step process to help you achieve dependable finishes every time, regardless of one-, two- or three-step processes. And the color-coded bottles allow for easy reference in the shop or on the dock. The full series of 3M products created specifically for gelcoat includes 3M™ Perfect?It™ Boat Wash, 3M™ Perfect?It™ Medium Cutting Compound + Wax, 3M™ Perfect?It™ Light Cutting Polish + Wax and 3M™ Perfect?It™ Boat Wax.
- 3M’s fastest-cutting gelcoat formula for removing heavy oxidation and P600 scratches
- Formula provides longer wet time for extended product life and easier cleanup
- Suitable for all gelcoat surfaces including marine, caravan and industrial
- Can be used with two- or three-step gelcoat finishing processes
- Part of a complete range of 3M™ Perfect?It™ products for gelcoat finishing
Directions for Use
Compound between 1200 and 2000 rpm using a buffer equipped with a 3M™ wool or 3M™ foam compounding pad.
1. Apply enough material to work a 2` x 2` area with a thin film throughout the buffing process. The product is designed to be used wet and buffed with a thin film. Important: If too much compound is applied to the surface, product may create a heavy film that reduces workability. If this occurs, remove excess material from both panel and pad surfaces. Spur buffing pad as necessary.
2. Start buffing with medium pressure between 1200 and 2000 rpm. For optimal finish, as the product begins to dry, reduce pressure at end of buffing cycle. Product can be buffed or wiped dry.
3. Use a soft cloth to remove any residual film and/or sling before moving on to another panel or before polishing.
4. For added protection apply 3M™ Boat Wax (36112/36113) after compounding is completed.